Since independence, Pakistan faced many challenges and one of them was in the field of engineering & technology. At that time few industries existed in Pakistan. It was felt by the Government of Pakistan that rapidly changing and the technologically oriented world, technology is of vital importance for the socio-economic development of a country.
The Government took immediate action in the light of the report, submitted by the Ford Foundation, and established three “POLYTECHNIC” Institutes in Karachi, Dhaka, and Rawalpindi.
The passed out graduates from polytechnics were meant to assist engineers and skilled workers. Now there are hundreds of technical institutions in the country, imparting technical education to train the manpower.
Government College of Technology, Peshawar is the biggest technical institute in the province, working under TEVTA Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Started in 1959, as a Government Technical Institute, with a few students, it is now grown up as Government College of Technology, running diploma to degree level courses in different fields of engineering & technology. The college is situated on Kohat Road, nearly two & a half kilometers from Cantt Railway, Station Peshawar. It has a land of 24 acres (approximately) having large beautiful engineering & buildings; to meet the growing demands of classrooms, workshops/labs. The College has its own masjid, the dispensary, colony, and two hostels for students, having a capacity to accommodate 200 students.
The government of Pakistan stood determined to train its manpower technically. The Government of Pakistan in 1954, invited the Ford Foundation of America, to make a study of the need for technical persons in the industry. The report showed that there was an acute shortage of technical personnel in the country.